Styx Pix! and Lizzy n Purple

• Saw Thin Lizzy, Styx and Deep Purple last Thursday at the NEC.

Realised it was 25 years since i saw Lizzy! John Sykes voice isnt too bad and he and Scott can still play. Aldridge on drums is still an incredible thumper. But, obviously no Phil to add real frontman charisma.

DP were good and easily better than the last tour. But Steve Morse is starting to bore me with every solo being the same run of notes. Having said that, the inclusion of great versions of Lazy and The Battle Rages On at least brought it to life.

Bernie Marsden came on for Smoke OTW and i have the whole song on excellent quality video. 500mb so a bit bigger than possible to post! Also videoed one of Lizzy's and plus a couple of other Purple numbers. As we had 2nd row seats the sound from Morse's amps was right in my face and Don was a bit lost but still better than last time out.

Styx, like Skynyrd last tour, were the band of the night for me.

Never having seen them before or heard any song except Babe, i was really impressed. Tommy Shaw is a great frontman and guitarist. The keyboard guy looked like Micheal J. Fox and performed like Elton John. His revolving keys was something to watch! The other guy on guitar with the permanent smile wasnt bad either. and the bass player played guitar when another bass player, who i think was an original member, came out to play. No idea of the setlist but a good set of songs. they had a lot of UK fans at the show. If they tour as headliners i'll be getting us tickets.

And i got guitar picks from Tommy, Steve and Roger too :D

Here's some pics and if anyone here is a big Styx or DP fan and wants some more, PM me. I took around 200 on the night and some have come out really well, tho i say so myself :p Hardly any zoom as i was so close!

• Hi wolfy,

nice pics, thanks for posting!

Do you happen to remember which Lizzy songs were played - just curious - Gorham/Sykes seem to run through the same setlist for years now :mad:

Also, just in case you're not using it yet: Check out the MPEG Streamclip Converter from Squared5 - an excellent little software! Then you might be able to post the SOTW clip... ;)

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Hey Wolfie!!!

Glad to see you have finally got a good taste in music!!!! :lol:

I saw Lizzy/Styx/ Purple at SECC in Glasgow last week.............

Lizzy White or Thin Snake were ok but whats the point of themtouring - desperate for money - no new material likely to arsie. having said that Marco mendoza is a fine bass player!!

As for Styx - awesome as always. Saw them in Manchester a wee while back headlining and they are brilliant - great songs, great show, everything.

Didnt bother with Purple at all!!

Email me as I have a little something of Styx for you!!!

Chris :thumbup:

• Saw Thin Lizzy, Styx and Deep Purple last Thursday at the NEC.

Styx, like Skynyrd last tour, were the band of the night for me.

I agree with you completely. I'd never heard anything by them and had no expectations at all. I thought they were great, both musically and visually. Their Grand Illusion album is quite cheap at Amazon and appears to be well regarded by the reviewers so I've ordered it.

My only reservation was that the whole evening was too loud. It became painfully so during The Battle Rages On. It's the first time I've seen Purple since 74 and they were too loud then. I thought they might have mellowed a bit by now. Perhaps they are all half deaf anyway.

• Hi wolfy,

Do you happen to remember which Lizzy songs were played - just curious - Gorham/Sykes seem to run through the same setlist for years now :mad:

What I can remember: Jailbreak, Boys Are Back In Town, Emerald, Cowboy Song, one Sykes co-wrote from Thunder and Lightning, Don't Believe A Word, Suicide.

• If only i had known you were going Andrew!

Cold Sweat was the Thunder and Lightning song.

i have Are You Ready on video from the night too.

i'll look into that software Chris. looks interesting but will it really shrink it down that much without losing quality? David's limit is 40mb. YouTube limit is 100mb and all that will hold is the solo from Highway Star i shot. (98mb)

You wouldnt believe how much messing about i did trying to shrink Mel's Whitesnake video down to under 100mb for YouTube!
    I had to convert it from dvd to mp4 first too.

that 2gb card came in handy eh Chip!

Sorry for boring you all with "techie" talk ;)

Pic of Marco for you Mr Spencer :) - i'll be in touch!

• Wolfie

If you're using Windows XP Home, then Windows Movie Maker should be installed. You can use this to convert large formats down to smaller lower-quality WMVs. I did this for clips that I took at the Glasgow gig and then uploaded to YouTube.

http://youtube.com/weissheim

cheers
    John

• and the bass player played guitar when another bass player, who i think was an original member, came out to play.

The original bass player is Chuck Panozzo. He's not a full-time member any more due to health problems (he's HIV positive).

He plays a few songs with the band when he can.

http://www.chuckpanozzo.com/

Thanks for the great pix!

cheers
    John

• It seems you had a great nite, Wolfy. A wonderful line-up of bands you don't get to see often these days.

I saw Purple a year ago when they just released their new album "Rapture of the Deep". I do have to admit Purple was better than I ever saw before (with the Steve Morse line-up that is ... :) )

Purple is playing Holland in a few weeks.
    Although we don't get Thin Lizzy and Styx, I think we don't have to complain about the opening acts: Y&T and Talisman with JSS :D :D :D :D

• The Grand Illusion is there best album followed by Pieces of Eight.

Also try and get Brave New World and Cyclorama with have been released in the past few years they are also excellent.

There is something about the band that is a. great fun, b. dont take themselves too seriously, c. have great songs, d. have a great attitude!

It took them the best part of 30 years to tour here but twice in a couple of years is magical.

I shall definitley be there when they tour again!! :thumbup:

• Don't forget the Styx albums 'Paradise Theater' and 'Edge of the Century'. And if you want to get back to their slightly more progressive days, pick up the 'Equinox' album. Hell, if you want a great slice of all of their albums, pick up the 'Return to Paradise' double-live CD.

Wolfy, the current Styx lineup is quite good - but being unfamiliar with the members as you are, here's a few tidbits:

Tommy Shaw joined the band for their 'Crystal Ball' album back in 1976. After the band broke up in 1984, he released a few solo albums and eventually formed Damn Yankees with Ted Nugent and Jack Blades from Night Ranger. When Styx reformed in 1990, it was without Tommy. His replacement was Glen Burtnick, who appears on the excellent 'Edge of the Century' album. While Glen was a guitarist around this time, when he rejoined Styx in the new millenium, he switched to bass to fill the diminishing role of founding member Chuck Panozzo.

Guitarist James Young is an original member of Styx, going back to when the band was called T4. He has three solo albums out, and has been a constant in the band from the beginning. Thankfully, he finally changed his hairstyle and shaved his mustache because he always reminded me of a white Rick James. LOL

Bassist / guitarist Ricky Phillips was a member of The Babys, which also featured John Waite and Jonathan Caine of Journey. All three of whom were in Bad English with Neal Schon and Deen Castronovo. Ricky often switches to guitar when he hands over bass duties to Chuck Panozzo in concert.

Todd Sucherman has been drumming for Styx ever since founding member John Panozzo passed away in 1996. Todd had previously recorded with his former band The Falling Wallendas.

Keyboardist Lawrence Gowan was a solo recording star in Canada before joining Styx. He put out about ten solo albums, plus a live DVD, under the name Gowan.

Bassist Chuck Panozzo was one of the founding members of Styx, along with his twin brother / drummer John, James Young and Dennis DeYoung. Chuck took on a diminished role in the band after being diagnosed HIV positive.

Styx is a great band, even if they currently only have two original members (one of whom is not always present). They continue to write compelling music, even as the lineup has changed over the years.

Cheers....Todd

• Thanks for the full story Todd. What were the Gowan albums like?

looks as tho i'll have to find a cd store while im over!

And Chris " a. great fun, b. dont take themselves too seriously, c. have great songs, d. have a great attitude!" is absolutely spot on.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Saw The Purple tour at Newcastle and i thought they were great. Lizzy ? well i think Limehouse Lizzy are better :thumbup:

Styx WTF :huh: :huh: If i want to see a buffoon doing headstands i will go to the circus and not a rock show. Sorry if that offends anyone but Jeez,Styx were embarrasing :confused:

• Thanks for the full story Todd. What were the Gowan albums like?

And Chris " a. great fun, b. dont take themselves too seriously, c. have great songs, d. have a great attitude!" is absolutely spot on.

Can I echo wolfy's thanks and comment.

A highlight of the evening was when the Styx keyboard player sat down and said "It's great to be in Birmingham. I've always wanted to do this" and sang "Generals gathered in their masses". No response. "Ah, you don't go to the same church as me. Let's try again" which he did more loudly. This time the audience responded (a bit feebly) "Just like witches at black masses". Made me laugh anyway.

• Todd, I can see why I am amere golf club secretary and yourare a scribe, could nt have put your summary better myself.

Roll on another tour and hopefully a new studio album. Having said that, Coem Sail away is one of THE best rock songs ever.

Any one going to see REO Speedwagon?

I saw em in the 80's and they are a damn fine ROCK BAND!!!!!

Ah well, back to the links....

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!