1976 Tommy Bolin radio interviews

• :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: Thanks Paul and hello everybody! Nice to hear Tommy speaking. You can hear he was a Talent really but his way of living is coming through his voice.Nice plans he had with one of the best musicians at the time...
    Wish to hear more of these rare interviews and see video stuff from any of the tours he did.I don't have any material that is not here on the site but I have checked almost everything.
    Thanks for the super entertaining site David. This is a must for every rock'n roll fan.
    By the way, Glenn is doing amazingly.

T: Lars, a musician from Finland

• Here's one other interview - conducted by Radio Trent at the Granby Hall show in Leceister, England that was the first date on what turned out to be Deep Purple's final UK tour.

Tommy talks about his involvement with the then current album, Come Taste The Band, Purple in general and their next album, Teaser and his solo plans.

Sounds like a promising year ahead, but then at the very end, the interviewer makes an innocent comment, which clues me in at least, as to the direction he was headed just a few short months later :(

Such a waste of talent and a real tragedy that he's not with us any longer, it could of been great.

This is not the best quality audio and is barely audible in places, so you need to turn the volume up a little.

• Thanks again Paul!:claphands

Where do you get these specials!?It's always nice to hear a member point of view to things that's been speculated now almost 30 years.

Yes it's true that clearly Deep Purple had problems at that stage, like solo plans and not that much co-operation and drugs.Damn! I would have loved to have another mk4 album, cause Come Taste The Band really blew me away as did Teaser.Such a fresh and timeless beautiful music with energy. I heard them 3 or 4 years ago for the first time and I've been listening those records all the time. They influenced me more than anything I've had heard before.

Now I'm looking for rarities from that period of time.

What's your story behind Tommy's music?

• Here's a snippet from another Tommy Bolin radio interview, conducted by WMMR in Philadelphia on January 18th, 1976, during the final MKIV tour of the USA and prior to their live performance at The Spectrum in Philadelphia the next night.

He talks about Purple, James Gang, his solo material, his hair colour and more :)

• Tommy's voice sounds like Truman Capote...I think that it's Barry Fey in the background feeding him answers....Tommy sounds distracted here...He sounds tired and somewhat sedated...He also sounds like a really nice person whom anyone would be glad to call a friend...It's a cryin shame what happened to him...

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: Thanks Paul and hello everybody! Nice to hear Tommy speaking. You can hear he was a Talent really but his way of living is coming through his voice.Nice plans he had with one of the best musicians at the time...
    Wish to hear more of these rare interviews and see video stuff from any of the tours he did.I don't have any material that is not here on the site but I have checked almost everything.
    Thanks for the super entertaining site David. This is a must for every rock'n roll fan.
    By the way, Glenn is doing amazingly.

T: Lars, a musician from Finland

• Tell me that Tommy doesn't sound like a cross between Brando and Truman Capote!

Here's a short 10 minute radio interview with Tommy Bolin recorded in January 1976 in New York during the USA leg of what turned out to be the final tour.

He talks about his beginnings, Purple and his solo albums & tour and more!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!